Uniden UBCT-9

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
SteveO

Uniden UBCT-9

Post by SteveO »

I am looking to get a base scanner and I think I will be settling for something like this Uniden UBCT-9.

Anybody have any comments? Good .....Bad? Let me know what you think.

My dollars aren't going to stretch to getting a more expensive one so is there anywhere around Brisbane to grab one?

Thanks for your input.
Steve
Finch

Re: Uniden UBCT-9

Post by Finch »

They're OK, I mainly use mine for 800MHz trunking and does a fine job. The RF performance is a let down. Below average on VHF mid, average on VHF hi and good on UHF. The selectivity is a little bit of a let down on 800MHz.
It only has 250 channels, no CTCSS, no alpha tagging, only 5 scan banks etc. It has it's birdies around on the VHF bands and it suffers alot from images above 800MHz.
However it is a great middle of the range radio, not too bad for the price. It's easy to use and program. I would recommend it (and I’m thinking about getting another for myself too) but if you want to get serious then this isn't the best piece of equipment for it.

I found if you visit a few dicksmiths they have them cheap as old stock (or at least in NSW they are cheap). At a DSE I saw one for $250 (they were open to offers too) as old display stock.
-Alex
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

I have a T9 and I think it's great.
I like the fact that it can be controlled/programmed from a PC.
Uniden includes the serial cable and CD with the radio.
My only wish is that it had more memory channels. 250 is barely enough for me.
It has pre-programmed frequencies for police/ambulance/fire and you can select which state you are in so it scans the right bands.
The close-call feature has come in handy at times. I've been able to find frequencies of nearby cops talking car to car etc.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
:mrgreen:
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Finch wrote:They're OK, I mainly use mine for 800MHz trunking and does a fine job. The RF performance is a let down. Below average on VHF mid, average on VHF hi and good on UHF.
That's interesting, as I have no sensitivity issues with mine.
I had the opportunity to test it with a Motorola RF test set lately.
The mute would open at 0.5uV on VHF FM low, 0.4uV on VHF FM hi and 0.25uV on UHF FM @ 470MHz.
I don't remember what the upper UHF sensitivity was like but it certainly didn't show a problem.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

I've got two of them and I absolutely love them. Was my first scanner and that was years ago and i recently bought another to put in my car. They aren't Unidens top scanners (the 780xlt and the 396/996 are better but they do cost a lot more) but for the price I think they are well worth it. You can connect it up the computer and program the scanner through that. The down side is it's only got 5 banks of 50 channels each. Thats the one think I like about the 92xlt is that it has 10 banks of 20 channels. And its got close call :)
Mitch Rogers
Finch

Post by Finch »

Scannersplitterguy wrote:
Finch wrote:They're OK, I mainly use mine for 800MHz trunking and does a fine job. The RF performance is a let down. Below average on VHF mid, average on VHF hi and good on UHF.
That's interesting, as I have no sensitivity issues with mine.
I had the opportunity to test it with a Motorola RF test set lately.
The mute would open at 0.5uV on VHF FM low, 0.4uV on VHF FM hi and 0.25uV on UHF FM @ 470MHz.
I don't remember what the upper UHF sensitivity was like but it certainly didn't show a problem.
My 396 is a little bit better on VHF mid and hi, I haven't tested low between the two yet. When the ducting is in I can't get very many Victorian sites on the T9 but with my 396 it's much better. VHF midband don't get me started. I can physically see a site and it's scratchy and hard to read but with a 8025 it's clear as day on the same antenna. On my 8025 I can get sites I could only dream about with my T9 or the 396. I didn't even know the TFS used talkaround until I got my 8025 because it was so weak on my T9.
I remember testing my 73XLT against my T9 on VHF low, the 73 on the same antenna was so much better.
I don't listen to UHF very much any more so I can't tell you much about it on UHF.
-Alex
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

I bought mine from Prestige Comms last year. It has never given me any trouble and does all the things it is supposed to do.
I haven't used the trunk Tracker III feature as we don't have any out here in the boondocks.

Here are my ratings:

UHF 4/5
VHF (Airband) 4/5
Ease of operation 5/5
Memory channel size 2.5/5
Accesories incl 5/5
Reliability & Constr 4.5/5
Close Call feature 3/5
Value for money 4.5/5

Summary:
A great scanner for anyone starting out in this hobby wanting a desktop/mobile
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

If anybody is looking to get one of these you better get in quick. Most of the suppliers have run out and Uniden aren't supplying them anymore. I found a place in NSW called RYDA. Monday afternoon they had two left so I ordered one online at 5.30 pm and got it this morning. Pretty good service.
Steve
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I can vouch for Ryda ive had stuff from them before :)
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

whats ur budget?? I can do ya a good deal on a digital UBCD 996T!
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

and how is that relevant to my thread! please keep it on topic thanks! :lol:
Steve
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

lol...it is kinda relevant ;) if he has a budget i may be able to accommodate ;)
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone