Sydney Depart North Issue

All air band scanning discussions, whether it be a bird, plane, superman, helicopter, space ship, rocket or anything else that glides through the air
jaskel

Sydney Depart North Issue

Post by jaskel »

Is it just my system or everyone but Syd Dep N 123.000mhz just has a noisy carrier on it?? I have to lock it out cause it is stopping during a scan all the time on this noise!

Anyone else hearing it?
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
Finch

Re: Sydney Depart North Issue

Post by Finch »

Hi Jaskel,
You will probably find that the 396 has a few troubled freqs for example no matter what/where I can always hear dead carrier on 168MHz.
I can't hear anything on 123MHz here so it might just be local interference. If your on a handheld whip walk around the house and see if you can find the source of the interference and turn the source off.
Some noisy things to pay attention to: switch mode power supplies (ie laptop chargers, phone chargers, CFL energy saving globes etc), other radios (if I put 2 PRM80s of a different band next to each other they become paperweights), ethernet cables, computers in general, TVs (particularly Plasma).
A good way to find out if it's the scanner is the problem or local interference is the problem is to take it outside away from the house and if interference disappears then it's not the scanner and now you have to go interference hunting.

Let us know how you go.
-Alex
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

yeah its on my discone, but it has only started in last week..before that it was fine...ive added nothing...weird one!
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
Finch

Post by Finch »

Which radio are you using? Have you tried others on the same freq?
Prehaps you could make a small RF choke; coil up a bit of coax and see if it makes a difference?
-Alex
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Nothing wrong with that freq today

must be getting interference on your end in or around your aerial/radio

as mentioned earlier - place a choke on your aerial and see if that reduces your interference
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

yeah will do..im also about to raise my antenna another 6' to get a little better reception...at the mo it is only 2 ' above the TV antenna