New in Melbourne

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
Dan McLean
Newly Registered Users

New in Melbourne

Post by Dan McLean »

Hi Guys.
I just turned 50 this month, Im originaly from Scotland but moved here about 4 years ago and loving it. Since I was a wee boy I was fascinated by radio, I used to have a large radio in my bedroom which had so many frequency's and i used to tune in and listen to all sorts of stations all over the world. As I grew older I still had this fascination which never left me. When I was 18 I got a CB radio, back then everyone had one in their car, this was a time where if you didnt have one you were no one, the cb crazy grew bigger with the likes of the movie Convoy and other cb related movies. Funny that in a short space of about 5 years the craze died, it went away as quickly as it came in, however I was still a secret listener to stations all over the world.
I moved to Australia and after my first two years I noticed a scanner in the shops, well actually quite a few, but after much inquiring I decided on a Uniden UBC93XLT. This wee scanner seems to pick up well especially with heightened activity from the bush fire crisis.
So Im new to this scanner business and am loving it epecially at nights, from my home in Melbourne west I get the police and other services from Arrarat and the likes which seems quite good, next thing Im going to try is an outside ariel on the roof to u my gain a little. One thing I am a little dissappointing in is that I cant get Melbourne police for some reason, maybe cause they are digital?
Anyways guys, I dont get on here much but will be popping in and out,,, Nice to read all the posts, will keep me going for a long time...