Hi Folks

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
CapnChaos
Newly Registered Users

Hi Folks

Post by CapnChaos »

have cruised on this site for a while - but have finally joined.
Am a young "old fella" and have had a lifelong interest in aviation and started listening on vhf airband when i was a young boy - there was no such thing as a scanner then ! Have been listening - mainly airband on/off for the last decade with my trusty Uniden UBC120XLT - it owes me nothing. Got serious and put up a rooftop dipole (unity gain) a while ago. Am located on the eastern fringes of Melbourne and have great radio "visibility" to the S and SE - can pick up all the vhf ATC broadcast from arthurs seat, Mt tassie and all Moorabbin airport. Can routinely pick up aircraft 350-400 kms down in bass Strait, north of dartmouth dam (syd-melb route), out to near Holbrook, and over to the grampians. Some of the gear that all you guys own - wow - serious stuff. I am now on a quest/doing research on better antennas - I'd really like to listen to the ATC Mt Macedon and Melb airport transmitters (i can get 1 of them at like strength 2/10 and can hear the approach/departure transmissions as a weak carrier only). Was wondering what a 3Dbi gain antenna would do for me. Should i save my money - or do i need to go with LP/Yagi to get serious. I know thats a bit of a fluffy question - any input would be welcome.

And as a last question - with the amount of gear everyone seems to own - I'm surprised you dont have a For Sale page/Wanted page on this site.

Sorry to prattle on -- cheers
CC
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: Hi Folks

Post by rochedalescan »

Welcome to the site :) We actually do have that section it is named the classifieds section http://aussiescanners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23

Thanks Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Newy1234

Re: Hi Folks

Post by Newy1234 »

Captian, I would look at a discone (still no gain though). Maybe a 2metre ameture radio antenna as well.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Hi Folks

Post by Phantom »

Yagis are directional... If you want all round non directional listening, I would recommend a Discone with good coax. Just get it up as high as you can.

You maybe able to feed a Discone and a yagi into a coax switch or splitter and potentially have the best of both worlds. Should be ok as long as you don't TX!!