Antenna for handheld

All air band scanning discussions, whether it be a bird, plane, superman, helicopter, space ship, rocket or anything else that glides through the air
SABOY

Antenna for handheld

Post by SABOY »

Gday!

I have a question Im hoping you guys could answer for me.

I have a Uniden EZI30XLT that I use to listen to Airvband when Im near the Airport. Its a cheap little unit but it does the job.
I live about 40kms from the Airport and can sometimes pick up the planes as they often fly approach overhead and I have a clear view of the ocean for runway 05.

Can I connect a base station Antenna to this little unit for better reception? I am considering putting one on my house roof. This way I can upgrade to a better unit later down the track.

Does this sound reasonable?
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Antenna for handheld

Post by Phantom »

Yes, you can connect an external antenna to your scanner to improve reception. You can use this same antenna later down the track. You may just need to change the connector on the end of the coax depending on what you get.

Whilst any antenna will do ok for scanner, by suggestion would be to get a suitable antenna that will last into the future for your needs..... Unless you like crawling the roof cavities!
SABOY

Post by SABOY »

I dont think anybody would like crawling in the roof, especially in this heat. Its been HOT here the past few days.

Thank you for the advice, I think I might go with the Mobile One Air Kit.

SABOY
chainz

Post by chainz »

If you want something handheld that does air good, the Nagoya 771 is great. 8 bucks from ebay!
SABOY

Post by SABOY »

Thanks for the advice guys, I will post details and results when I have upgraded.
SABOY

Post by SABOY »

So the Nagoya arrived during the week and I will admit for $8 its a big improvement. Much better.

Thanks!