IC 6023 NO SIGNAL

Discussion on Icom technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Amaroc

Re: IC 6023 NO SIGNAL

Post by Amaroc »

Hey guys

Well got a little progress today. Phoned ICOM guy told me before it will scan the microphone has to be on the holder which must be ground. Did all that an hell it is scanning finally BUT still no sound. Did a test with a truck driver and ZIP So I guess ring up ICOM again tomorrow and ask. At least i am getting help from them more than I am from reseller
2014 VW Amarok Ultimate: Pegasus Canopy (from pjs4x4.com.au) ARB Bullbar: Kaymar wrap around rear bullbar, Twin Drawers (sliding floors): Korr 80watt Spots : 50 mm Bilstein suspension lift: Under Carriage protection: Sunroof: 3M Crystalline tint, Evo Corse 16 wheels with MT ATZ P3.......... ICOM 400pro and anything else I can throw on :D
Tez
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Did the trickier hear you?
Did you hear the truckie?
What channel were you using during the test?
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

Phantom wrote:Did the trickier hear you?
Did you hear the truckie?
What channel were you using during the test?
Hey no we did not hear each other at all

I think it was channel 13
2014 VW Amarok Ultimate: Pegasus Canopy (from pjs4x4.com.au) ARB Bullbar: Kaymar wrap around rear bullbar, Twin Drawers (sliding floors): Korr 80watt Spots : 50 mm Bilstein suspension lift: Under Carriage protection: Sunroof: 3M Crystalline tint, Evo Corse 16 wheels with MT ATZ P3.......... ICOM 400pro and anything else I can throw on :D
Tez
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

If I was a betting man, I would check the settings on your radio aswell as check the antenna. Weird that either one of you could not hear each other
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

Phantom wrote:If I was a betting man, I would check the settings on your radio aswell as check the antenna. Weird that either one of you could not hear each other
I agree but What settings do I check for ??

Reading on other Forums these units are difficult to get your head a around unless you are an experienced CB users. The manual is like the 6023 is whoaful .... very vague. Half of the things you can do on this unit are not even in the manual so one has no hope unless talking to good folks like yourself.

Will see tomorrow when I phone ICOM tech support
Tez
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

As mentioned earlier, check for CTCSS/DCS is off, check squelch settings not too "tight", check antenna connection, use the same frequency when conducting a test.

Have you listened to a scanner to hear your transmissions?
Any local repeaters in your area to try it out on....
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

Have an update I did manage how to figure out how to get into the setup and have taken the squelch to about 80, ) was just plain noise at 0. Fiddled around with it but still nothing coming thru....... Phoned a guy up from TJM in Hornsby who sells ICOM told him the problem, first thing he asked me was, where is the coax cable from the aerial, told him it was curled up under the dash, then plugged into radio, wherein he said that is your problem. That coax cable is your aerial it must be spread out as much as possible throughout the car it is not just about the bit at the front he said. So going back to auto electrician tomorrow so they can redo. Did one thing though found a hand held and tested it, had to be right in the car it sort of worked, I could here the handheld but when going from my CB to the handheld nothing.

Still a great improvement from the other day, yes the supreme optimist :)

Thanks all again everyone one of you has helped me get to this point
Tez
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

I think we got lift off boys
Tez
Radio_Australia

IC 6023 NO SIGNAL

Post by Radio_Australia »

I can't say I have heard of the "lay out" the coax trick , I would of though that would make no difference to an external antenna .

So you got it working ok ?
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

Partially working I got underneath the the dash and unwound the cable, sure enough signals coming in much better. Also talking to our Transport manager at work he also confirmed that in all the trucks the aerial cable is taken thru the fire wall around the doors up through the roof down the other side then into the unit.

Tomorrow will be the test but then have to sort out why only one sided conversation..... baby steps
Tez
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

I would be banking on a poor termination of the coax.
Before you go, check the coax and termination, maybe it's not grounded properly to the radio
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

That's what I am thinking , a bad coax connection on the plug
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Take a positive out of this experience, at least you are learning more about radios and what is required to make them work. It's not just as simple as plugging something in and talking into a mic... As well as learning more about the radio itself.

Hope you are able to get it working later today....
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

Amaroc wrote:Phoned a guy up from TJM in Hornsby who sells ICOM told him the problem, first thing he asked me was, where is the coax cable from the aerial, told him it was curled up under the dash, then plugged into radio, wherein he said that is your problem. That coax cable is your aerial it must be spread out as much as possible throughout the car it is not just about the bit at the front he said. So going back to auto electrician tomorrow so they can redo.
Hmm!

Coax is not an aerial, in fact it is designed to do the exact opposite job and contain as much of the signal as possible...

Odd advice lol
"YOUNGN"
Comint

Post by Comint »

Amaroc wrote:Did one thing though found a hand held and tested it, had to be right in the car it sort of worked, I could here the handheld but when going from my CB to the handheld nothing.
I'm wondering if the coax is shorted ie, the inner conductor is accidently connected to the braid.

--
Comint
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

UPDATE

Well guys it all seems to be working fine now. BUT in saying that whilst unraveling the cable did improve it marginally who the hell knows why after reading your comments, you will never guess the real reason for the problem from the start........... after I had it installed took car to VW to have a modification done on it. They obviously took the antennas off to do the work........when finished they put the 3G antennae on instead, so bloody wonder nothing was happening. As the antennas look identical I did not even think to check either despite a couple of you saying check it.

There you a go a lesson learnt and yes learning bloody fast. Now just got to figure out best squelch level even though I am at 120 still a lot of noise.

Once again THANK YOU ALL you are tremendous to a newbie :)

Tez
Tez