996T V 996XT`

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Stretch
Forum Manager

996T V 996XT`

Post by Stretch »

Whats the difference between the two? Like I know the XT (I think I have the letters right) is the Australian version but how does that differ from the original version? The reason I am asking is it looks like my local DSE is trying to clear out the original versions for half price (from 599 or something down to 275 roughly).

Rather interested but would like to know whats the difference before I do buy it :)

Cheers guys,

Mitch
Mitch Rogers
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: 996T V 996XT`

Post by rochedalescan »

Your kidding ! get one anyway man thats a rediculous price
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Stretch
Forum Manager

Re: 996T V 996XT

Post by Stretch »

Yeah I'm thinking I'll head in first thing in the morning and buy it and even if I dont like it I'll just sell it :)

Just wanted to know the difference between the two.
Mitch Rogers
Comint

Post by Comint »

Stretch wrote:Whats the difference between the two? Like I know the XT (I think I have the letters right) is the Australian version but how does that differ from the original version? The reason I am asking is it looks like my local DSE is trying to clear out the original versions for half price (from 599 or something down to 275 roughly).
Boy, are you confused.

The 996XT superceded the 996T, in about June 2009. There has never been an Australian version of the 996XT.

If DSE is selling the 996T for roughly 275, then that is quite a drop from their normal price of roughly 997, although I recently saw them advertised for roughly 597.

If one is to believe the stories circulating on other Australian scanner forums, then there will never be another Australian version of Uniden scanners, as Uniden Australia is allegedly getting out of the scanner market.

I think Uniden Australia only have themselves to blame for their perceived problems, as they take too damn long to get Australianised versions on the market. Any serious scanner user usually gives up waiting, and ends up buying the American version. Surely both versions (American and Australian) can be manufactured and released at the same time.

--
Comint
Last edited by Comint on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Comint wrote:Boy, are you confused.
Doesnt suprise me.

I'll go out and buy it tomorrow morning if it hasn't been sold yet (doubt it :))

Cheers

Mitch
Mitch Rogers
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

396T - Australian Portable Edition
996T - Australian Base Edition
396XT - New American Portable Edition
996XT - New American Base Edition

I remember portable vs base due to the portable being smaller (and a smaller number, 3 compared to 9 - lol silly but it helps).
My DSE is selling a 996T for $591, so wow, if you can get it for $275, go for it! Damn. TBH, I don't care it's not the latest XT version. Australia doesn't have them yet, and it's still a decent scanner.
It decodes P25 fine in my opinion.
Uniden 396T + RH-96, Uniden BCT8, Puxing 888 UHF
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

Comint wrote: Surely both versions (American and Australian) can be manufactured and released at the same time.
Even EASIER, a global product should be released with easy and simple re-banding support. It would NOT be hard to do, and would possible save Uniden Australia millions of dollars producing an entire new product just for a different country.

Very silly of Uniden/""Australia
Comint

Post by Comint »

Mathew wrote:Even EASIER, a global product should be released with easy and simple re-banding support. It would NOT be hard to do,
I suppose that was what I was saying, in a round about way. Although, it couldn't have 'too easy' re-banding support, as that would be breaking a few American laws.
and would possible save Uniden Australia millions of dollars producing an entire new product just for a different country.
It is not an entirely new product just for Australia. It is only a variant of the original.
396T - Australian Portable Edition
996T - Australian Base Edition
BCD396T and BCD996T are the American models
UBC396T and UBC996T are the Australian models.

--
Comint
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Did you mange to pick one up ???
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

Comint wrote:I suppose that was what I was saying, in a round about way. Although, it couldn't have 'too easy' re-banding support, as that would be breaking a few American laws.
Yes but if it is apparent Uniden was/is honestly supporting rebanding firmware for Australian users, then they would take this into consideration. People can buy scanners from other parts of the world and import them?
Comint wrote:It is not an entirely new product just for Australia. It is only a variant of the original.
I know this, but think of all the altercations they have to make to our edition before exporting them. Changes to banding, frequencies inside the scanner, all the manual/guide changes so say "Australia" and what not. Think how much they would save if they had one global product?
Comint wrote:BCD396T and BCD996T are the American models
UBC396T and UBC996T are the Australian models.
Yes I know this, but I purposely did not mention that because it was kind of irreverent. I was trying to teach how the names worked out generally first of all..
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Yeah I went down and bought it today :)

Testing it now :)
Mitch Rogers
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

How much did you get it for and how many did they have ? just the one ?
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

rochedalescan wrote:How much did you get it for and how many did they have ? just the one ?
$295.

And I got the last one from Southport but as of Thursday night Beenleigh had 2 and thats all I know (he pulled them up on their system). If you're after one, head into your local DSE and if they don't have one ask them to check their computer system if you so desire.

Mitch
Mitch Rogers
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

and it covers the aust trunking band?? 800 mhz no blocks??

Paul.
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

nothing on the online store at DSE. they have pulled it.
Comint

Post by Comint »

Stretch wrote:Yeah I went down and bought it today :)

Testing it now :)
Is that just the 996T by itself, or did it come with the RH96, as well?

--
Comint
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

No no remote head.
Mitch Rogers
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

If anybody is chasing one DS at Underwood is closing down. As of yesterday afternoon they had two left at $500 each.
Steve
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Can confirm there is still atleast one 996T at underwood for 500$ there is also a couple of uniden UHF handhelds going cheap. However I overheard one of them saying that they will still be open for atleast another month so there is more to deals to come by especially the rest of the radios, antennas and accesories.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

found a few in stores but they wanted the normal price of $591. The special stopped last week - bugger.