Backlight prob on old Uniden

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
ScannerEars

Backlight prob on old Uniden

Post by ScannerEars »

Guys,

I have an old Uniden BCXLT200 Scanner and I recently managed to score two new slide on battery packs for it :D :D

Problem I'm noticing as it gets older (17 years), is that the green backlight seems to have faded a bit.

Is there anyway to replace the LED in these things without too much bother ? Is it something I could reasonably hope to do myself?

A blue backlight would look cool too instead of that puke coloured green.

ScannerEars
Uniden BCD396T - BCXLT200 - SANGEAN 909 SW - Airnav RadarBox
Kevaclone

Re: Backlight prob on old Uniden

Post by Kevaclone »

How good are you are soldering SMDs
very fine tip, low wattage soldering iron, good light and possibly a desk top magnifier
the radio comes apart easily enough, plenty of advice already on the net on doing that
then it's just a matter of sourcing replacements and swapping them over

Kev
ScannerEars

Re: Backlight prob on old Uniden

Post by ScannerEars »

Kevaclone wrote:How good are you are soldering SMDs
very fine tip, low wattage soldering iron, good light and possibly a desk top magnifier
the radio comes apart easily enough, plenty of advice already on the net on doing that
then it's just a matter of sourcing replacements and swapping them over

Kev

Thanks Kev,

I'll give it a go.

ScannerEars
Uniden BCD396T - BCXLT200 - SANGEAN 909 SW - Airnav RadarBox