G'Day Folks

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
spook67

G'Day Folks

Post by spook67 »

Hi Everyone,

I have taken the plunge and decided to become a member of Aussie Scanners after years of scanning and researching the web (including this site) for specific information regarding our hobby. It all started for me back in about 1990 I guess in Bundaberg, QLD. I purchased an old Dick Smith scanner of sorts. Well actually it was an AM/FM/SW receiver with some limited VHF ability which was ok for Bundaberg at the time due to the police and ambulance being VHF.

Next step for me was an old Realistic scanner with sixteen channels from memory and no search facilities. I guess this radio honed by skills as you needed to know the frequency you wanted to listen to and could not just cast a net out there looking to see what you could catch. I found growing up in the country regions interesting as you could research your maps, look at elevations etc and work out what regions would have repeaters on what mountains and then direct your efforts accordingly. Plus VHF had pretty good coverage somewhere like Bundaberg as it was so flat.

My second ever radio purchase was a Camnis HSC-010 or AOR2000 depending on your preference. Quite a good radio and introduced me to the real thrill of scanning i guess. The ability to now actively search out new finds was very appealing to me.

In addition to this i had also now purchased a Sangean ATS-505 SW receiver. I loved receiving and searching out long range military comms whether RAAF or RAN and then progressed onto American stations. Their was nothing quite as romantic as sitting outside in winter, long wire set up and hearing the constant hash and crackle of a SW receiver with no squelch ability then all of a sudden a "Sky King, Sky King, do not answer" broadcast would come booming in.

Currently I am running a Uniden 72XLT, AOR8200, Sangean ATS-505, Uniden UBC355XLT and an old Netset (Realistic) PRO2032. As for antenna i am configured quite basically with just a 4.5 DB whip (the old stainless steel UHF CB ones) mounted on the roof and am located out in the Hills of Brisbane.

Cheers,

Luke
Last edited by spook67 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spook67

UBC93XLT, Netset Pro 2020, AR8200, UBC355XLT, Sangean ATS505
bodyguard

Re: G'Day Folks

Post by bodyguard »

Hi there Luke, sounds like you started out well, and seen the hobby change over the years

What hills of Brissy are you located on ?

hope you enjoy the site
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
spook67

Post by spook67 »

Hi There BG,

I am located out Ferny Hills way and yes i have witnessed quite a few changes with the introduction of digitisation and wider spread use of encryption and trunked systems and the like. Thankfully not everyone has gone digital as yet.

Cheers,

Luke
Spook67

bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

skyking skyking

thats in 11175khz ?
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

spook67 wrote:Next step for me was an old Realistic scanner with sixteen channels from memory and no search facilities. I guess this radio honed by skills as you needed to know the frequency you wanted to listen to and could not just cast a net out there looking to see what you could catch.

Yup I recall that period... I had various local frequencies of interest committed to memory (you needed to), they were exchanged like trading cards (or some kind of currency) between enthusiasts, oh how times have changed!

Welcome to the forums :wink:
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
spook67

Post by spook67 »

bodyguard wrote:skyking skyking

thats in 11175khz ?
Certainly was. I also recall 8974 khz as being a RAAF station with a bit of activity and 13206 khz. The RAN used to give me some difficulty but i did have some success in the low to mid 2400 khz region.
Spook67