how to program BaoFeng UV-5R Plus to australian police

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
UHF-VHF

how to program BaoFeng UV-5R Plus to australian police

Post by UHF-VHF »

Hey guys, new to this forum and just wanted to ask what you think of the baofeng uv-5r plus. Also can it be programmed to aus police? It's an aus version and has uhf channel 1-80. Thanks for your help guys.
Vkfour

Re: how to program BaoFeng UV-5R Plus to australian police

Post by Vkfour »

This radio is not type approved in Australia, irrespective of what frequencies it has programmed into it. Analogue police frequencies can be programmed into it, but DON'T program in their transmit frequencies as well. Even though the radio is not legal in Australia, generally speaking, provided you don't make a nuisance of yourself, don't cause problems, and don't transmit on frequencies you're not supposed to, you'll pretty much be left alone.

Database of approved radios in Australia can be found on this site.....

http://www.typeapproved.com.au/
UHF-VHF

Post by UHF-VHF »

Thanks for that, Where can i get uhf frequencies?
mubear

Post by mubear »

But having posted here you have brought yourself to attention of just about anyone. You would be surprised who reads these forums.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

This is true, but he has been told what to do by PP. Remember, not everyone knows about these things and his original post indicates that he is probably a newbie.
UHF-VHF

Post by UHF-VHF »

Hey guys, Yeah i am new to all this... To be honest, It was only a question and thats it... Not the sort of guy who's interested in getting my self into s#it or trouble.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Simple answer

You really have no reason to have the Baofeng in your possession - you would already know this. If the correct people find you with such device in your possession, you could have some explaining to do to keep the radio.

Flick the radio to someone who is legally able to use the radio and invest the money from the sale into a scanner. You can listen until your heart is content and sleep easy. The scanner will open up a larger world of things to listen to that the Baofeng is limited to.

Get a scanner - press SCAN and then you will find everything you want. The Baofeng would be way to complicated if you don't even know what type of radio they are, let along the frequencies that you want to listen to.

Right now, the Baofeng in nothing (legally) of use to you than a paper weight.
Dont want to see your get into trouble. I am simply passing on the information.

PS: You truly do not know who is watching these forums and who is listening out there
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

What is annoying is that anybody can buy these radios when they shouldn't be able to.
Steve
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Even more simple answer. This fellow is a newbie, he indicates it in his first post, and had no idea that the radio was illegal, nor that it is a right bitch to program without a cable. He was told that it was an "Australian" version, programmed with 80 UHF CB channels. You will note that I sent him a link so he could see it was illegal, and this was immediately questioned. For those who did question the link, UHF-VHF has confirmed no C tick is on the radio. I have been in contact with him since the beginning by PP and he is aware of what to do. Please be a little kind towards new people, because if new people don't come into the hobby, or are chased away, there is less for all. By the way, I too am opposed to the easy importation of these sorts of radios, have been a ham for 40 years, and a lawyer for nearly as long.
UHF-VHF

Post by UHF-VHF »

Guys, it's been advertised for sale and just about sold... Got a guy coming to pick it up in the morning. I want a hand held uhf so I can take with me into my 4wd when we go off road and on my boat so that's why I bought this... Anyway, it's sold so I'm in the hunt for a new unit.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

The information passed on was correct, and passing it on was the correct thing to do, even though this had already been done. I agree that the way the information was passed on was a little more "direct" than it perhaps should have been, but comments such as this only make matters worse, and demean the site and the hobby.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Would hate to see anyone have their equipment taken from them.
Would hate to see anyone use equipment that is deemed illegal

Hopefully the funds are put towards a suitable and more capable receiver that you are seeking. If you are seeking both a UHF CBRS Transceiver and receiver for some of the emergency bands, there are plenty out there and heaps of people of the forum either own or could recommend one.

Have a look at the TX6200 or IC-41 as this could be suitable for your above mentioned requirements.
Good luck during your hunting.
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

This is why it is annoying. Supposed "professional" sellers selling this stuff on gumtree so people would have no idea they were not legal

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bundaber ... 1028850110
Steve