Hi all please help a new member

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
pommy1976
Newly Registered Users

Hi all please help a new member

Post by pommy1976 »

Hi all thanks for having me. I am wanting to purchase my son a scanner for Christmas. He very much enjoys the app he has on his phone. And we often listen as a family. We are in Hobart Tasmania. I have searched on rules and regulations. I am wanting to know what type to purchase if we go ahead. I have read about the uniden 92xlt. Would this do the trick? I have seen them on ebay. But are from the US. Would they still work in Tassie?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
X-Firey

Re: Hi all please help a new member

Post by X-Firey »

Hi and welcome.
We are lucky not to have all the rules and regulations that the US has regarding scanners.
Common sense will generally keep you out of trouble here.
What is your budget and what does your son like to listen to?
I would suggest a scanner that does at least P25 phase 1.
I'm assuming that you would be looking at a handheld/portable. Perhaps a secondhand UBCD396XT or if you want the latest, a BCD325P2-AU, BCD436HP or the AU version UBCD436PT. There is also the Whistler range of scanners.
The latest scanners will 'future proof' you as they are P25 phase 2 capable.
There is software available to program all these scanners via computer
Perhaps you could ask further questions in the Vendor Specific Discussion area.
I hope you find something suitable.
Pumper_50

Re: Hi all please help a new member

Post by Pumper_50 »

Can I ask what you have been listening to via the phone app?

The reason I ask is if you're purchasing with the intent to listen to the same agency/department/entity you'll need to consisder if you will in fact be able to recieve such from your location when using the scanner.

I applaud your willingness to support your son's interest and hobbies. Scanning can be a lot of fun.

You might want to consider a handheld as your first purchase as you'll find it handy to take with you on your travels.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk