NEW TO AUSSIE SCANNERS

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
brighty

NEW TO AUSSIE SCANNERS

Post by brighty »

Hi Guys :D

I am a new member to the forum and I am in need of some assistance. I'll be honest and admit that I don't know much about scanners in general, however what I am wanting to do is find a scanner at a reasonable price, (Doesn't have to be top notch) that will allow me to receive Gold Coast Police Radio.

However, the only problem is that I have heard rumors that Gold Coast Police Radio has gone digital and can't be picked up any more? If anyone could verify or shed some light on this, that would be great

Is it very hard to pick up frequencies etc? I probably would prefer a handheld scanner, if it makes any difference, however I am open to options. So, if anyone out there would be able to post a few good brands with approximate prices, and just fill me in on the basics of scanning, that would be much appreciated.

Hope to hear from you soon
Cheers 8)
Phil
Administrator

Re: NEW TO AUSSIE SCANNERS

Post by Phil »

Brighty,

my suggestion would be to take a look for frequencies through the forums, the Gold Coast QPS are still analogue
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Hello Brighty,

Recently we have had a run of new members joining with the sole aim to monitor police channels. While it is relatively easy to program your scanner with police band frequencies, they MUST be analog otherwise you cannot listen in unless you outlay more money on a trunking scanner. Even then, you will need a PC to help you download software into the scanner. If the police in your area decide to encrypt the transmissions, you will be unable to hear anything.

If you live in an area where the police are still transmitting in analog, then you can buy an analog receiving scanner which is much cheaper, especially in the Uniden range.

If Phil reckons QPS are still analog in the GC, then you should look for a cheap HH Uniden to start your hobby off.

BTW there are many other services that you can listen to, not just police.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Brighty - seems that you have already asked the same question before ... here. I think you will find the information as provided in your 1st post - will be the same today

I can help but be a little inquisitive when people want to listen to police - and that is all they are interested in.

Remember - you are only allowed to use the information heard on a scanner for personal use - not for commercial gain.

When you get a scanner - be sure to advise us as to which one you get and we will be more than willing to help you out in setting it up and getting your "ears on". As for things to listen to around the coast area, well there are heaps ... Think you will find a lot more interesting things to listen to than QPS all the time.

Good luck in getting a scanner - pretty much any scanner out there will suffice your original enquiry - just bite the bullet and get one - don't think you will be disappointed once you get started. If price is a concern, have a look around eBay - but as always - sometimes, new prices are close to the prices listed on eBay.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Remember - you are only allowed to use the information heard on a scanner for personal use - not for commercial gain.

Commercial gain and ANY activity that can be deemed as unlawful.
PaulTech

Post by PaulTech »

IF you're prepared to play with a computer try a search for RTL SDR they are a bit tricky to setup, but that will change as the software/hardware base expands. The definately require an addition aerial, a 10cm piece of wire really isn't an aerial.
Hobart
------------

RTL SDR(R820T) using SDR#, SeeDeR, dump1090, UniTrunker