AOR AR-DV1?

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
VK3RX

AOR AR-DV1?

Post by VK3RX »

Interested in comments from any owners of this model.

I'm thinking of buying one for a purpose, and have read about USB problems with a recent batch.

I had one a few years ago but moved it on after a couple of months. I didn't like the size both of the unit and the screen including readability, and ended up with an AR5000+3.

I'd prefer another of those than the AR-DV1 but they don't come up very often.

Funny: the original owner of my AR-DV1 also didn't hang onto it long as he didn't like it also, and I subsequently found out that mine passed through at least two other sets of hands for brief periods for the same reason.

There wasn't anything wrong with it electronically, it worked as it was supposed to over all ranges. I guess it is a case of you either love it or don't ....
alinco21

Re: AOR AR-DV1?

Post by alinco21 »

I have the DV1 since they came out, no problems at all.
Just have to remember that they are a receiver and not a scanner.
radiotronics

Post by radiotronics »

VK3RX wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:38 am Interested in comments from any owners of this model.
The AOR AR-DV1 is an outstanding product. We have one on the bench. It's been a workhorse for some years now.

There are most certainly some who don't like them. They don't like the way they sound or the fast that, compared to analogue scanners, they're relatively slow at scanning.

But the biggest grumble is that people don't realise there's a bandwidth switch that's hardly even mentioned in the user guide.

Hit F and then hit MODE, this allows you to open or tighten the bandwidth. 200K to listen to an FM radio station and switch to 15K (that's the minimum) for FM UHF CB etc.

We also use the software for it. But keep in mind that it's not real-time software as such, it just allows you to send an recieve config from the scanner.
My nickname is Tech (because I've been known to be quite technical).
I work for a well known radio dealer... as a Tech-lead.

My scanners are: AOR AR-DV1 and SDR#
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

Thanks for the comments guys.

The purpose is scanning a couple of hundred frequencies all the same mode and 30kHz bandwidth, so scanning speed might be a issue.

An AR5000+3 would be ideal. I was offered a used one for $3500 :) and declined, given I paid $1500 used and optioned up for mine 4 years ago, one sold recently for $900, and even used AR-DV1's seem to go for $900-1100.