Hi All

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
Darkness 31
Newly Registered Users

Hi All

Post by Darkness 31 »

Hi everyone...

My name is Steve and I travel extensively..I am interested in purchasing a new mobile scanner that will allow me to listen to Emergency Services and Police across mainly NSW, VIC and Southern QLD.

Would love some advice from you guys as the experts.

I haven't had a scanner for several years.

Thanks in advance and BTW great site :D
Comint

Re: Hi All

Post by Comint »

Darkness 31 wrote:Hi everyone...

My name is Steve and I travel extensively..I am interested in purchasing a new mobile scanner that will allow me to listen to Emergency Services and Police across mainly NSW, VIC and Southern QLD.

Would love some advice from you guys as the experts.

I haven't had a scanner for several years.

Thanks in advance and BTW great site :D
Welcome to the Site.

Your request does pose some problems, as a lot of the Emergency Services in NSW and VIC have now gone to Digital systems, specifically APCO P25, and there are no longer digital scanners sold in Australia that are 100% compatible with the Australian Bandplan. Also, the Police in the capital cities, in all three States, are encrypted.

Others have imported Uniden and GRE digital scanners from America, and while they work well on the digital systems, they are somewhat lacking in the 70 to 85 MHz, and the 156 to 174 MHz Bands, which you would need in rurals areas of NSW and VIC.

I suggest you read through the Victoria and New South Wales Topics on this Forum.

--
Comint
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: Hi All

Post by rochedalescan »

Welcome and Thanks for the feedback Steve !

If you have a look in most of the other posts for people chasing scanners, it has been recommended they go for a Digital scanner, although alot of QLD etc is not digital or needs a scanner with trunking capabilities you will need this for NSW. Keep your eye out for a UBC996t or a UBC396t they are the Australian version of digital scanners but have been discontinued, they do come up sometimes on ebay etc but not many retailers have them left/at a decent price.

Cheers Shane :)
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~