Gan Gan data?

Enthusiast discussion on trunked radio networks, protocols including MPT1327, TETRA, EDACS, SMARTNET - as well as talk group ID's
alan22

Gan Gan data?

Post by alan22 »

Hello

Back from long absence. Have a Uniden 396. I am very close to Gan Gan NSW GRN, but can now hear nothing. Maybe I've messed up a setting. I'd like to source an up to date schedule of talk groups and frequencies.
VK3RX

Re: Gan Gan data?

Post by VK3RX »

Welcome back :)

You will find pretty up to date site data from Jim @ Ozscan here:

https://www.facebook.com/Ozscan-1931730 ... 90/?ref=hl
alan22

Post by alan22 »

Thanks Damien. I'm afraid we are not on Facebook, and have no wish to be! Any other way of reaching him?
Kazzaw
Forum Manager

Post by Kazzaw »

He has a blogspot website, but unsure if it is as updated as the Facebook. http://ozscan.blogspot.com
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

alan22 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:16 am Thanks Damien. I'm afraid we are not on Facebook, and have no wish to be! Any other way of reaching him?
Neither am I on FB, but if you scroll down that page I linked to (tick "not now" to the login prompt) you will see his link to a spreadsheet containing the GRN data.

There is also a map showing the sites further down the page.
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

Member railscan on this forum is Ozscan
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Jim in Mt Gambier is Ozscan.

Railscan is Railscan in NSW....
railscan

Post by railscan »

Radio_Australia wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:09 pm Member railscan on this forum is Ozscan
Oh no he isn't....

Railscan
alan22

Post by alan22 »

Hi Damien. I found ozscan's email address thanks. Next problems (maybe he'll know the answers) Who is best supplier of 436PT in Aus? Also supplier of Sentinel? Also, are there different versions of the 436, say with different prefixes or suffixes?
alan22

Post by alan22 »

I have found Pacific Telecoms. I also see the USDS100. Does anyone have one? Is it suitable for Aus conditions and is it all that better than the 436?
railscan

Post by railscan »

The 436PT can be purchased from various suppliers both online or in store. EBay is one example of online, Pacific Telecommunications in Melbourne is the main supplier however.

Sentinel is available for download from, https://uniden.com.au/product/ubcd436pt ... 8945a-630b

The Australian version is the UBCD436PT, the US version is BCD436HP. Both will work equally as well as the other, but for ease of any warranty claim stick with the the PT.

If you are not familiar with this type of scanner do your homework. It is not a case of just entering a few frequencies, pressing scan and off you go. There is a significant learning curve with the new generation scanner and it takes a lot to master it. Don't just go for handouts and other people's hard work, learn to do it yourself because when something goes wrong you stand a better chance of being able to fix it. Just some friendly advice.

Railscan (aka Russell Bryant) (not aka Ozscan)
alan22

Post by alan22 »

Thanks R! I have downloaded Sentinel already. Also have enquired with Pacific. Thanks for resolving PT v HP, and your general advice. I have also downloaded and printed the copious manual. I mastered the 396 but that was years ago and I worked on a lot of different software systems since then!

BTW Russell, I think I remember your name from other forums years ago in the 396 days?
alan22

Post by alan22 »

Have now ordered a 436. A nice Christmas present! Devouring the copious manual, having downloaded and printed it!
railscan

Post by railscan »

Alan,

A lot of new scanner users do not read the manual they go head long into the new technology and become disillusioned when nothing works.

The manual is not the be all and end all, there are omissions and errors. It is however the basis for learning about the scanner.

R
alan22

Post by alan22 »

Yes. I have concluded that the best way by far is to use software eg Sentinel to set up, having first made a list of all the services I wish to monitor, with frequencies and/or TGIDs
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

alan22

Post by alan22 »

A quick question or two:
1 Is there any way I can tell whether a given NSW GRN site is P25 Phase 1 or Phase 2?
2 Does the 436 automatically sense the difference and switch to it?
3 And perhaps, more basically, is the choice of Phase 1 or 2 made by site or by user, and if the latter where can I find who is using which?

Incidentally, in the UK many years ago (1960s!) I ran a private message handling company in London, and we used two frequency AM (!) (analogue and unencrypted of course!) in the 160-164 MHz range. We had some famous subscribers who only used the service for time checks (Maybe showing off to a passenger?) At that time the official radiotelephone service run by the Post Office had a long waiting list. The gear I used was Pye (later bought by Philips). I had two aerial sites. One at Banstead (on the southern edge of the London basin) and one at Crystal Palace (on the TV tower that's still there. (possibly my folded dipole and Andrews FHJ-4 solid jacketed coax is still there too...), both connected to the control room, first at Banstead and then at Kingston, by copper landlines, known in the UK as 'private wires', actually reserved pairs in the normal telephone cable, wired straight through at the exchange MDFs on the way..
Last edited by alan22 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alan22

Post by alan22 »

I've found the answer to Q3. It is apparently not a site by site function, but talkgroup by talkgroup, according to Radioreference.
Kazzaw
Forum Manager

Post by Kazzaw »

1 no 2 yes 3 correct as you found. Phase 2 is backwards compatible with Phase 1 from what I understand, it just won't allow space for 2 slots on a single channel
alan22

Post by alan22 »

Thanks to help from Jim, I have programmed in Gan Gan but can hear nothing. Listening to 416.1375 and 416.8875 by direct frequency entry reveals no data stream. I wonder if the control frequencies have changed? Any users on here successfully hearing Gan Gan??
Update: data stream heard on 508.000!
Last edited by alan22 on Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.