Voting system scanning

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Blake

Voting system scanning

Post by Blake »

So, hopefully an easy one today. :lol:

Is it possible to program into a scanner (specifically my 325P2), voting networks.
As in, that they will vote properly.

At the moment, each site is setup as a channel.
The problem is, that sometimes the scanner will lock onto a weaker site.
That is, as it's scanning, and SQL opens, it may lock onto a tower (in the same group), that is further away.
Same signal repeater over a large area, multiple sites.

Now, I know I can lock out the weaker sites manually, but is there a way to do this automatically (i.e. make it vote).

Anyone?
Cheers blokes.
X-Firey

Re: Voting system scanning

Post by X-Firey »

One method that I have tried and works reasonably well, when mobile or portable is to turn the squelch setting up so the strongest signal breaks the squelch. Of course some of the disadvantages are obvious. Not perfect I know but may be worth a try. Also 'less' antenna works e.g. stubby UHF, VHF or dual band antenna.
Last edited by X-Firey on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bass Junkie

Post by Bass Junkie »

Only real way to do that is with an SDR unfortunately... as X-Firey suggested you could try with super high squelch, though I'd add low wait times if you can configure it. If you're scanning a P25 system your scanner might have options to tweak the decode level, similar to squelch.

This is how it's done on the PSR-800: http://marksscanners.com/P800/P800.shtml#thresholds
Blake

Post by Blake »

Cheers blokes.
I'll check it out, and have a fiddle.
Hopefully I can get something to work???
comport1

Post by comport1 »

I can't believe after all these years that they still haven't implemented voting for scanning receivers. That would make it so much easier for voting/following simulcast systems. You'd think it'd be easy as a software feature / firmware upgrade.

It is one feature I'd love to see in scanners of the future.

Cheers
------------------------------------------
Comport1
Blake

Post by Blake »

Too bloody right comport. :P
That and MPT-1327. :o
Or maybe that's just me? :?