Is there much analogue traffic?

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
vk4jaz

Post by vk4jaz »

Hi, new member here.
I currently monitor the air bands in Brisbane with my Yaesu FT2DR and am thinking of expanding into other areas without committing too much in the way of funding just yet. I notice that entry level scanners like the UBC-126 AT and UBC-355 XLT may do the job, but before I take the plunge, would like an idea of whether there is much/any analogue FM traffic still going on, or has most migrated to the digital modes?
Regards
Grant VK4JAZ
Radio enthusiast, ham radio operator and electronics tinkerer.
tanger32au

Re: Is there much analogue traffic?

Post by tanger32au »

I was on the goldcoast in late 2019 and heard a heap of FM traffic. While I did hear some digital signals, I heard more analogue FM.
Kazzaw
Forum Manager

Post by Kazzaw »

There is a reasonable amount of non digital traffic going, however there is also a reasonable amount of digital traffic.

I think 2 options here, either take a stab around with a cheaper entry level scanner, or grab the cheapest (still exy) entry level DMR NXDN compatible (paid upgrade from uniden) scanner (UBCD436PT) and have access to all of it
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Analogue is still in use, but it is becoming less common is main centres like the GC. If you already have an analogue scanner I would not bother with another, unless you have a specific need for one. Digital options are more expensive, but they will have a longer service life. There are plenty of trunked digital networks around, where plenty of businesses have migrated - and you won’t hear those with an analogue scanner.

The UBCD325P2 would be a good choice. Standard with P25 (Phase 2), and paid upgrades for DMR and NXDN. Great sensitivity and easy to program. Great battery life.

Next there is then the UBCD436PT/546PT (handheld/mobile). Standard with P25 (Phase 2), and paid upgrades for DMR and NXDN. Good sensitivity and while more complex to program it comes from free software.

Top of the line is the the USDS100. Again, standard with P25 (Phase 2), and paid upgrades for DMR and NXDN. Good sensitivity and while more complex to program it comes from free software.

Prices range from ~$450 to ~$850, plus any paid upgrades. Expensive, but in my mind worth it for the ability to scan heaps more.
vk4jaz

Post by vk4jaz »

Thanks guys, very insightful and useful information. I don't have any scanners at present, only a bunch of tranceivers, ham stuff etc. What are your views of the UBC-126 AT as a starter? And what do you think about the EZ130 XLT? Any good?
Radio enthusiast, ham radio operator and electronics tinkerer.
Kazzaw
Forum Manager

Post by Kazzaw »

Both will work well as a basic analog receiver
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

Not a lot of exciting stuff on analog in SEQLD .

most are on dmr and the odd NXDN , and with P25 Digital uhf NSW gov radio network been able to be heard on the GC ,

Also Energex have a P25 digital system now .

Personally I wouldn’t bother with a analog only scanner for se qld ,

The whistler trx1 or 2 are great for digital , they don’t charge for digital upgrades like uniden do
Kazzaw
Forum Manager

Post by Kazzaw »

Radio_Australia wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:31 pm The whistler trx1 or 2 are great for digital , they don’t charge for digital upgrades like uniden do
That they don't, however they won't trunk track like uniden will
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

Kazzaw wrote:
Radio_Australia wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:31 pm The whistler trx1 or 2 are great for digital , they don’t charge for digital upgrades like uniden do
That they don't, however they won't trunk track like uniden will
They don’t need trunk track aka LCN numbers to work correctly, in fact my trx1 works better then 436 and SDS100 on trunking systems