OK,so its not my last question LOL.

Enthusiast discussion on trunked radio networks, protocols including MPT1327, TETRA, EDACS, SMARTNET - as well as talk group ID's
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

up on the hill behind the Ipswich Hospital i usually get the CCh Motor noise on 800MHz trunking and the display shows 99% signal.

Over the last week the motor noise has dissapearred on 800MHz : 867.0125,868.0125 ,not receiving any tigds either.

I put it on 400Mhz Quantas and the cch is still strong [behind ippy hosp] and audio etc.

Have they shut down the 800MHz Trunking??? as i get ZERO noise and signal readout.

Anyone ??
Cheers Rod
I LOVE AOR scanners, but cant afford the newer ones LOL. So Uniden is it.
SteveO

Re: OK,so its not my last question LOL.

Post by SteveO »

What scanner is it? If you read on this site you will see that apparently some people have had 996's losing sensitivity
Steve
Comint

Post by Comint »

rredbeak wrote:Over the last week the motor noise has dissapearred on 800MHz : 867.0125,868.0125 ,not receiving any tigds either.

I put it on 400Mhz Quantas and the cch is still strong [behind ippy hosp] and audio etc.
Obviously, if you are not receiving a CC then you won't be receiving any TGID's. Have you checked ALL the frequencies on the Site, for a CC data stream.

Have they shut down the 800MHz Trunking??? as i get ZERO noise and signal readout.
Can't say for sure, but the number of Users on the 800 MHz Motorola Smartnet system has been declining over the years, as Users have migrated across to the Zeon Digital Network, or other digital modes. The Zeon Digital Network is using 800 MHz frequencies previously used for the Smartnet system, and it was always Motorola's intention to close down the Smartnet system, once the Zeon network was established.

Also, as Motorola allegedly no longer supports the Smartnet protocol, it is only a matter of time before QANTAS, and other Smartnet users, move to some other protocol.

--
Comint
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

Stevo,
Its the DTS-96 HH and everything else is good n strong like the 400MHz Quantas is hi 90's behind the ippy hospital.Dunno why but the dts 96 gives sig strength as a percentage,no sig bars.

Comint,
Yes i went through freq by freq stopping on each several seconds. I had just been through and deleted the TGIDS [as suggested here].BUT the Sig was gone last time i was up there and still no reception with the TGIDS still in it [800 MHz]

Cheers Rod
Comint

Post by Comint »

rredbeak wrote:Stevo,
Its the DTS-96 HH and everything else is good n strong like the 400MHz Quantas is hi 90's behind the ippy hospital.Dunno why but the dts 96 gives sig strength as a percentage,no sig bars.

Comint,
Yes i went through freq by freq stopping on each several seconds. I had just been through and deleted the TGIDS [as suggested here].BUT the Sig was gone last time i was up there and still no reception with the TGIDS still in it [800 MHz]

Cheers Rod
Seeing you were up on Denmark Hill, did you have a listen to the following frequencies.

865.9125, 866.9125, 867.9125, 868.9125, 869.9125 MHz

These are TETRA channels, and you would have to listen to them with the squelch open, and you might not even hear anything then as TETRA is Time Domain Multiple Access (TDMA) and current scanners are not designed to handle this mode. If you do hear anything, it is generally described as "a raucous noise", and may be heard on one, or more, of the above frequencies.

--
Comint
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

no i didnt but ill load them in and check it next time im up that way,even a raucious noise is something.

Maybe in future new scanners will follow suit.

Im hoping Quantas will remain as theyve got a reliable system,AND i can rx them LOL.

Cheers Rod
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

ok,this saves a lot of time.

In my bedroom on the bank of the river behind a hill to brissy.

I put in all the freqs above and get solid raucious noise from all except the last one.869.9125 MHz.

no signal displayed but its solid and clear as.

Cheers Rod
Comint

Post by Comint »

rredbeak wrote:ok,this saves a lot of time.

In my bedroom on the bank of the river behind a hill to brissy.

I put in all the freqs above and get solid raucious noise from all except the last one.869.9125 MHz.

no signal displayed but its solid and clear as.

Cheers Rod
Yeah. TETRA is a lot different to analogue systems (Smartnet / MPT1327 etc). It is 4-slot TDMA digital with ACELP encoding, which basically means that there are 4 separate signals on the one frequency. One of the slots on one frequency is the CC. Current scanners aren't designed to handle the mode, so squelch circuits, and signal strength indicators don't respond.

--
Comint
Comint

Post by Comint »

rredbeak wrote:Maybe in future new scanners will follow suit.
Not very likely. Most TETRA systems are ENCRYPTED.

Im hoping Quantas will remain as theyve got a reliable system,AND i can rx them LOL.
Wishful thinking. Most radios in commercial use are deemed to have a life of only 5 to 7 years, so if they need replacements, or additional radios, and the equipment (SmartNet / SmartZone) is no longer available, then they obviously have to look elsewhere, eg, APCO P25, DMR, MotoTRBO, NXDN, TETRA, etc.

--
Comint
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Qantas is how it's slept....
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

Not turning out to be my day is it ...

never mind still got trunkview to use.

Cheers Rod
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

orangepeel wrote:Qantas is how it's slept....
slept.........??????? :oops:
Steve