ubct8 scanner firmware needed

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
safirievirg

ubct8 scanner firmware needed

Post by safirievirg »

hi guys, tried installing the rebanding update for my ubct8 turns out it was the bct8 firmware,
was wondering if anyone could help me
railscan

Re: ubct8 scanner firmware needed

Post by railscan »

safirievirg wrote:hi guys, tried installing the rebanding update for my ubct8 turns out it was the bct8 firmware,
First up the UBCT means it is for the Australian market, while the BCT is the US model. Despite the fact they appear to be the same unit, the firmware makes them different. You cannot update a UBCT with BCT firmware. If Uniden Australia has not released an update it usually means one has not been released or is needed. Be careful when reading US forums especially when there is discussion about firmware, you can brick a radio very quickly if you are not careful.

R
safirievirg

Post by safirievirg »

Unfortunately I found that out the hard way to restore the original firmware I was hoping that someone knows how to take it off of another scanner as I have a ubct9 as well
Comint

Post by Comint »

safirievirg wrote:hi guys, tried installing the rebanding update for my ubct8 turns out it was the bct8 firmware,
And in addition to what railscan has already said, American rebanding has NO relevance in Australia, so even if you had a BCT8, you would not need the rebanding update.

--
Comint
safirievirg

Post by safirievirg »

Yeah I was unaware of that at the time and now I am regretting it.
railscan

Post by railscan »

safirievirg wrote:Unfortunately I found that out the hard way to restore the original firmware I was hoping that someone knows how to take it off of another scanner as I have a ubct9 as well
Firmware generally cannot be read from a radio/scanner then programmed into another unit.

Can you describe how the radio is not working? What happens when you turn it on?

R
safirievirg

Post by safirievirg »

When I turn the power on all it does is light up but I can still put it in the firmware upgrade mode
railscan

Post by railscan »

safirievirg wrote:When I turn the power on all it does is light up but I can still put it in the firmware upgrade mode
I have a horrible feeling the unit has been bricked, but as you have little or nothing to loose try this.

With the radio turned off, press and hold the HOLD, 9 and 2 keys down at the same time, then turn the radio on. Let me know what happens then.

R
safirievirg

Post by safirievirg »

Unfortunately nothing on this unit. What is it supposed to do?
safirievirg

Post by safirievirg »

I tried it on my other unit and it activated the 800 mhz search mode
railscan

Post by railscan »

safirievirg wrote:Unfortunately nothing on this unit. What is it supposed to do?
It resets the radio back to factory settings. Obviously not going to work with UBCT8.

R
railscan

Post by railscan »

safirievirg wrote:Unfortunately nothing on this unit. What is it supposed to do?
Almost got it right, try,

2 , 9 and State button not hold button.

R
john16689

Post by john16689 »

I Unfortunately did the same thing. I guess we learn from our mistakes. lol
Last edited by john16689 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
railscan

Post by railscan »

john16689 wrote:I Unfortunately did the same thing. I guess we learn from our mistakes. Shame tho good receiver specially in Tassie.
While this is an old post, I will reiterate my earlier statement.

Unless you have a scanner designated to be for the American market, DO NOT attempt to update firmware talked about on the likes of Radio Reference.

RR is unfortunately Australia's worst enemy when it comes to scanners and scanning. It is trying to set itself up as the be all and end all of scanning across the world, but falls very, very short of this.

US firmware is applicable to the US. Australian firmware is applicable to Australia. THEY DO NOT WORK OTHERWISE! It seems several people on this forum have discovered to their detriment that scanners are fickle things when it comes to firmware.

R
john16689

Post by john16689 »

Thanks Rail scan for the info. :) My ubcd396xt does just as well. Cheers John