New member in Geelong

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
NinaGeelong

New member in Geelong

Post by NinaGeelong »

Hi..

Just wanting to introduce myself as I'm new on this forum. I guess there is not too many women into radio scanning. Well I am the only one I know and when I tell people they like look at me strange.

Anyway, I've been into scanning for a while. I've had three scanners, started with a basic uniden ubc200xlt I think it was, a hand held job. I soon replaced that with a realistic pro-2035. Later I bought a uniden ubc9000xlt which was a nice radio with the alpha tagging n all but, in my opinion it was not as good as the pro-2035. I sold them both when Vic Police went digital.

Recently I've decided to get back into listening again and am thinking about getting an Icom RX7 but, am wondering, is this a scanner or just a receiver, or is it both? If anyone has any opinions on this particular unit, I would appreciate your input on the subject. Another I might consider is the ubcd396t. Which is the better unit?

Any advice you guys can give me would be most appreciated.

Warm Regards!
Nina

Current Scanners: UBCD396XT

Previous Scanners: Pro20A, UBC220XLT, PRO2035, UBC9000XLT
Comint

Re: New member in Geelong

Post by Comint »

NinaGeelong wrote:. . I've had three scanners, started with a basic uniden ubc200xlt I think it was, a hand held job. I soon replaced that with a realistic pro-2035. Later I bought a uniden ubc9000xlt which was a nice radio with the alpha tagging n all but, in my opinion it was not as good as the pro-2035. I sold them both when Vic Police went digital.

Recently I've decided to get back into listening again and am thinking about getting an Icom RX7 but, am wondering, is this a scanner or just a receiver, or is it both? If anyone has any opinions on this particular unit, I would appreciate your input on the subject. Another I might consider is the ubcd396t. Which is the better unit?
Welcome to the Forum.

Technically, the Icoms are "Communications Receivers", and while they have the ability to scan, their scan rate is very slow, particularly in comparison to modern day scanners. I believe that with your previous experience with scanners, you would be very dissatisfied with an Icom.

While there is nothing wrong with it, the UBCD396T is a superseded model, and hasn't been manufactured since June 2009. The replacement model is the UBCD396XT with an RRP of $499.00, althought they can be found for less than that.

--
Comint
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Welcome to the forum, I'd go the 396xt they are fantastic and not too hard to program :)

Cheers Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
NinaGeelong

Post by NinaGeelong »

Firstly I just want to thank you all for the warm welcome.

Secondly to thank you for the replies and information.

I will pass up the Icom RX7 I was looking at and start looking for a UBCD396XT.

Cant seem to find one much cheaper then on ebay for around $380 and to be honest I really dont want to spend that much.

I saw its predecessor there on ebay, the UBCD396T, which didn't attract any bids with its $250 starting price. The same radio then sold immediately when relisted as a 'buy it now' price of $200, but unfortunately it was not to me : (

Ill be sure to post again, either once I have bought a new unit or, shortly after I get my ears back on : )

Warm regards,

Nina
Nina

Current Scanners: UBCD396XT

Previous Scanners: Pro20A, UBC220XLT, PRO2035, UBC9000XLT