SES Flashing Lights

Salis532

SES Flashing Lights

Post by Salis532 »

Interesting to hear that the SES in Queensland are on the verge of being fitted out with red and blue flashing lights.
Vkfour

Re: SES Flashing Lights

Post by Vkfour »

Last I heard, they were going to be allowed to use a red light on the right side of the vehicle, as well as their amber lights, but only under some circumstances. they were supposed to have a switch to turn the red light off if the circumstances didn't warrant it. I could image them being designated as a second level emergency vehicle with red lights only like the rural firies. Would be interested to hear where the information came from. The way things are here, who knows what the authorities will do.
Salis532

SES Flashing Lights

Post by Salis532 »

I've just heard a lot of talk within the Brisbane unit that's is very close to happening and the topic was in a recent unit survey for members feedback on the idea, I'll see if I can find more info but it will be interesting to see what happens none the less.
Comint

Post by Comint »

Maybe they are getting confused with the following RFS articles, now that SES comes under QFES.
RFSQ--Red_and_Blues_2013-11.PNG
November 2013

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RFSQ--Red_and_Blues_2014-03.PNG
March 2014

--
Comint
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Salis532

Post by Salis532 »

Hmm I'll have to do some more hunting for info, but I'm certain it was the SES that was mentioned.
Comint

Post by Comint »

Vkfour wrote:Last I heard, they were going to be allowed to use a red light on the right side of the vehicle, as well as their amber lights, but only under some circumstances.
It is a pity the other Emergency Services, in Queensland, haven't woken up to the fact that the Red light should be on the Right side of the vehicle instead of the Left side. ie., the Red light should be on the Drivers side of the vehicle. At least the Western Australia Police have the Red light on the correct side (the Right side).

Australia has blindly copied the normal American install, while forgetting that the Driver is on the Left side in American vehicles, and thus has the Red light on the Drivers side.

--
Comint
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

The general reason given for having the red lights on the left is because red is an international colour for the left hand side, and green for right. Blue is an international colour for emergency services, so it replaces the green, (red is supposed to stand out better, especially in sun light), although white, amber and green are used too in some places in the world. In England at one time, I don't know about now, the colour green was used by doctors. Some of our Queensland Ambulances also has some green, but they also had white and amber as well as the main red and blue, so it could just have been coincidence that they had the green. Our Forestry service also uses amber and green and they reckon the green is seen better in heavy smoke, (some of our local rural firies had green as well for the same reason, but were told to get rid of them). From what I can see with the SES is the red light will only be used under special conditions to indicate that it is more than just the RACQ, a tow truck or a service vehicle. By the way, NZ is back to front too. What ever, you don't want to see them in your mirror and then notice you're just a bit over the speed limit. That is an awful thing, and they are generally so polite that it's hard to be mad at them until after they're gone!!!
Comint

Post by Comint »

Vkfour wrote: . . . red is an international colour for the left hand side, and green for the left
As far as I know, that is only applicable to Maritime and Aviation situations, and has no relevance elsewhere.

red is supposed to stand out better, especially in sun light
Which is the reason the Americans have the Red light on the Drivers side of the vehicle, and why Australia, and New Zealand, should also have the Red light on the Drivers side.

--
Comint
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Comint wrote:
Vkfour wrote: . . . red is an international colour for the left hand side, and green for the left
As far as I know, that is only applicable to Maritime and Aviation situations, and has no relevance elsewhere.
Indeed. Motor vehicles are restricted to one side of a carriage-way and therefore don't need navigation lights, just front and rear lights. Red and green for motor vehicles signifies stop/go, not left/right. Marine vessels and aircraft however are permitted anywhere within their space, so navigation lights (red/green) are needed to indicate what side of the vessel you are approaching/passing.

So having a particular colour of emergency light on one side of a vehicle makes no difference, especially when you consider rear view mirrors etc 'flip' the image to the driver. No doubt that is why there is no standard anywhere in Australia for this. There is good evidence to suggest some colours are better at different times of the day or in different conditions, so in theory having multiple colours on each side of a vehicle make it the most visible. In the days of rotating beacons this was harder to accomplish because each light required a seperate coloured lens, however with the increased used of LEDs interchanging colours has become a simple process. That is likely why many emergency services now display multiple colours on each side of their vehicles.
Comint

Post by Comint »

peteramjet wrote:Having a particular colour of emergency light on one side of a vehicle makes no difference
It makes a hell of a lot of difference if an Emergency Vehicle is pulled off to the side of a road, and the left hand Red light is hidden by overhanging trees. or other vehicles on the side of the road.

In a lot of cases, a Blue light is barely visible at the best of times, so having an obscured Red light on the left only increases the risk to Officer Safety. Having the Red light on the Drivers side of the vehicle, where it is less likely to be obscured, reduces this risk considerably.

--
Comint
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Comint wrote:
peteramjet wrote:Having a particular colour of emergency light on one side of a vehicle makes no difference
It makes a hell of a lot of difference if an Emergency Vehicle is pulled off to the side of a road, and the left hand Red light is hidden by overhanging trees. or other vehicles on the side of the road.

In a lot of cases, a Blue light is barely visible at the best of times, so having an obscured Red light on the left only increases the risk to Officer Safety. Having the Red light on the Drivers side of the vehicle, where it is less likely to be obscured, reduces this risk considerably.

--
Comint
I guess almost all emergency services in QLD, NSW and VIC (and possibly other states) would disagree, aside from the NSW Ambos. Prior to most services placing different colours on each side it was only the NSW Ambos who had red on the drivers side - the rest had blue.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

You are indeed correct, red and green are associated with marine and aeronautical use, however, that appears to be the logic behind red to the left and green, or blue, to the right. Given that these sorts of decisions are made by government bureaucrats, logic and reason go out the door. Red is, however, the universal colour for the left, have a look at guide posts on the side of the road. I don't know about WA, but the ones here in the east are red to the left and white to the right of the driver. It is the same in England and Europe.

In any case, before we embark on a journey to discover which is best, let's have a look at the original question, are red and blue lights going to be used on SES vehicles? Maybe we should discuss merits, and otherwise, of putting the colour of lights on primary emergency vehicles onto secondary emergency vehicles in view of the fact that the secondary vehicles don't really have much in the way of privileges when it comes to road rules.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Whilst not directly related to scanning, it brings up some quite interesting points. Not hurting anyone is it? Maybe these post are educating others as well as sharing others views.

There are members on here that are involved and not involved in Emergency services as well as interested in scanning.

If you look here, you will find MANY topics that are not related to scanning - many of which YOU have participated in the past :roll:
fire_rescue

Post by fire_rescue »

Been approved red and blues to be installed on qld ses vehicles but only to be used when vehicle is parked apparently.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
theweblords
Newly Registered Users

Post by theweblords »

With in the emergency services the green steady or revolving light is to indicate an operational command vehicle. Just for interest sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SACFS Firey

Post by SACFS Firey »

If you look at the road rules it states that drivers must obey a reduced speed limit of 40kph in the presence of red and blue flashing lights on emergency vehicles. I would think that this is probably the reason for the SES and RFS in Qld having the policy change. And being a current serving emergency services member i wholeheartedly agree with ALL vehicles being used by Paid Staff and Volunteers being fitted with red and blues if it means that safety is increased.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

SACFS Firey wrote:If you look at the road rules it states that drivers must obey a reduced speed limit of 40kph in the presence of red and blue flashing lights on emergency vehicles.
I don't think there is such a rule in QLD, only SA - where the limit is reduced to 25km/h.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Just had a look through the Act and there is no such restriction in Queensland. Maybe there should be, but at the moment, there is none.