Newbie at this - chasing some help

If your into decoding transmissions, this is the place for you. Topics cover everything from pocsag, ermes, acars, flex & mobitex!!!
co00ky
Newly Registered Users

Newbie at this - chasing some help

Post by co00ky »

Firstly I'm cooky and i currently reside the new Newcastle/port stephens area,

Got into scanner awhile back while working panel shops,

Currently hoping to embark on pager decoding, i am looking to purchase a ubc355xlt but i currently have 2 Ubcd39xt, would i be able to get one of these modded with a discriminator tap or am i better to go with a 355?

Any help would be great

Cheers
Cooky
Yipyip46

Re: Newbie at this - chasing some help

Post by Yipyip46 »

Good Morning Cooky, Discriminator taps should be able to be done but finding someone willing to tackle the SMD handheld could take some searching. Are you going to use the level 2 or 4 interface? I have been following some testing done by a friend of mine and the interface available from Rene at www.discriminator.nl gives a faster and more accurate decode of the POCSAG system. Regards Yipyip
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Hi Cooky,

I'm in QLD :mrgreen:
I can fit a discriminator tap to the UBC355XLT. The UBCD396XLT is too small to fit an internal socket, although a tap can be made via a short lead to an external socket. It looks ugly, but works.
I have done many mods for quite a few members of this site.
PM me if you would like more info.

Cheers,
Dave
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
dags19

Post by dags19 »

yep cant go past scannersplitter had abc355xlt done by him a while back very professional job and quick turnaround works a treat no issues at all
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

I can also vouch for him, I've dealt with Dave in the past and couldn't fault him :)
Mitch Rogers
Boort8720

Post by Boort8720 »

If need be, you can always purchase an RTL-SDR Dongle for between $15 and $20. This method requires fiddling around with at least three computer programs (Including PDW), but is definitely a cheaper and almost just as effective method. I would definitely recommend using an exterior antenna, making sure that if you have a directional antenna (such as a VHF TV antenna), that it be faced towards the transmitter. Pager signals are generally quite strong, but for 100% all day, everyday decoding I use a VHF TV antenna pointing towards my closest transmitter.
Mitch Baker - VK3GLV

Uniden UBCD396XT, BCT15X, UBCD996T, UBCD436-PT, Tait TM9100, Simoco SRM9000 (VHF + UHF DMAP), Icom IC-2730a, Codan 9323 (Codan 9030 Autotune Antenna), Retevis RT52