Gidday - with a question

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
ozmoto

Gidday - with a question

Post by ozmoto »

Gidday

I've recently moved from the central west of NSW to the outskirts of Sydney. About all I could receive previously on my old 120XLT were the boys in blue (analogue).
Since moving I don't seem to be able to pick up much apart from Camden airport chatter and some UHF traffic.

My question: To pickup things like the ambos, fire services etc do I need to update to a digital receiver? If so, what is a good make and model - preferably portable?

Thanks
ozmoto
UBCD396XT, UBC120XLT
AIRMAN

Re: Gidday - with a question

Post by AIRMAN »

This may be ideal for you:

https://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Be ... 501770.htm

or a 72XLT, even cheaper.

Trunking scanners will get you digital systems, BUT not encrypted services like cops use in some areas.

You should look around for Uniden scanners IMO.
ozmoto

Post by ozmoto »

When searching around on the internet I found the following on the NSW GRN Scan site:

To scan the NSW digital GRN you will require a scanning receiver capable of decoding APCO P25 digital transmissions. Currently, the only Uniden scanning receiver sold in Australia which meets this requirement is the UBCD396XT (handheld). Uniden Australia previously sold the UBCD996T (base/mobile) and the UBCD396T (handheld) scanners, which were both capable of scanning APCO P25 digital transmissions.

Would that mean the BC125AT would not be suitable?
I would rather pay extra and get something that will cover as much as possible ....
UBCD396XT, UBC120XLT
Comint

Post by Comint »

ozmoto wrote:Would that mean the BC125AT would not be suitable?
I would rather pay extra and get something that will cover as much as possible ....
The BC125AT in an Analogue Only scanner designed for the North American market, and does not have the Australian 70 to 85 MHz Band.

With more and more organisations going Digital, purchasing an Analogue only scanner would seem to be a false saving. However, even the latest Digital Scanners will not enable you to monitor ALL the Digital Modes in use.

Uniden scanners designed for the Australian market, usually start with a "U", as in the UBCD396XT.

--
Comint