Replacement airband scanner

All air band scanning discussions, whether it be a bird, plane, superman, helicopter, space ship, rocket or anything else that glides through the air
por930

Replacement airband scanner

Post by por930 »

Hi all, Need to replace my old Pro scanner that has about uttered its last message. I have just retired and built a new house and starting again...

I am 8.25kms from the YBBN tower. My little hand held airband radio picks up all channels if I stand outside.No transmitting. If I can get a good reception and radio, will consider providing a feed for Live ATC, which seems to be missing from their stable.

Need a desktop airband scanner which will enable me to get the usual domestic airband stuff as well as other company communications. Looking though some of the frequencies, there are many ranges and not sure if there is such a scanner which provides all of them.

Antenna My last antenna was a Discone I purchased many years ago. Is it better to get the Discone as i will mainly be airband or a typical tuned length antenna such as the CDB124 from Mobile One Comm Systems.

Antenna Cable I will need about 10-15 metres.

When I try and research this, many many bewildering options, so hoping some of you with far greater working knowledge will be able to help.
Geoff
Radio_Australia

Re: Replacement airband scanner

Post by Radio_Australia »

I have quite a few different scanners , I use a UNIDEN 996XT as a base scanner with external antenna and works a treat , almost all scanners do air band , keep in mind that most businesses are updating their radios to digital technologies and with forms of encryption so listening is getting harder for scanner enthusiasts , air band is safe as you know . discone antennas are the best antenna for scanners /receivers , but at 8km from the airport any antenna will work to be honest . Let me know if you need any further info/help.
chainz

Post by chainz »

The post is 2 years old if you haven't realized
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

LOL ! Ha , just noticed , for some reason it showed up in the latest threads section of tapatalk app .
chainz

Post by chainz »

Haha yeah, Probably because it's unread ;)
Cally460

Post by Cally460 »

It might be a two year old post, but he has some valid points.

I live 50km due north of Tullamarine, and can get Melb departures on the handheld scanner sitting on the desk. BUT, picking up the aircraft transmission is a different story.

This is where an external antenna can come in handy, along with low loss coax.

Also, Geoff if you go to the Airservices Australia website, and look for ERSA under publications, you can, legally and free of charge download the plate for Brisbane (or any other registered airfield in the country) and you will be presented with their operational frequencies.

As mentioned, all transmissions are AM on VHF within the circuit area or overland. Out of VHF range HF is used and Military, well, they do what they want even down to teardrop circuits into traffic.

ERSA is here; http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip ... 2015&ver=1