CFA Phase 2

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Blake

CFA Phase 2

Post by Blake »

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this was covered elsewhere, and a google didn't provide an exact answer,
i'm wondering if, and if so, when, the CFA are switching to P25 Phase 2?
I remember reading something somewhere :? that said they were planning to switch to P2, but not when.

Any insights would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks blokes.
X-Firey

Re: CFA Phase 2

Post by X-Firey »

I don't believe that the CFA have any immediate plans to switch to P25 Phase 2. The CFA selected the 436PT scanner that is Phase 2 capable to 'future proof' the volunteers monitoring capabilities. However with other services planning to migrate to the RMR I would not be surprised to see P25 Phase 2 appear. We must remember that in the finish it all comes downs to costs where governments are concerned.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

All the RMR hub equipment is already Phase 2 capable. It is merely the CFA Tait radios that are not.

Hub equipment should be Motorola GTR8000's, same as the MMR.

In order for CFA to use the Phase 2 capabilities of the network they'd need to replace all their radios, not something that will happen anytime soon.

Any future ESO / Govt entity radio selected for use on RMR has to be Phase 2 capable. If any Govt dept from here on in buys themselves a fleet of Phase 1 radios they will be in a world of hurt.

Meanwhile several Vic Govt entities await further testing of potential new radios for their future needs.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Blake

Post by Blake »

Thanks for the in depth reply Pumper 50 :)

Pumper_50 wrote:In order for CFA to use the Phase 2 capabilities of the network they'd need to replace all their radios, not something that will happen anytime soon.
I thought that the CFA had just replaced them with 436PT's :?:
Aren't they P2 compatible?
Or was that just a 'trial' rollout; not to everyone.
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

Blake wrote:Thanks for the in depth reply Pumper 50 :)

Pumper_50 wrote:In order for CFA to use the Phase 2 capabilities of the network they'd need to replace all their radios, not something that will happen anytime soon.
I thought that the CFA had just replaced them with 436PT's :?:
Aren't they P2 compatible?
Or was that just a 'trial' rollout; not to everyone.
This would be replacing the two way radios in all the fire trucks.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

tanger32au wrote:

This would be replacing the two way radios in all the fire trucks.
Correct.
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

Looks like i just wasted money on my 396xt :(
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

scannerman wrote:Looks like i just wasted money on my 396xt :(
Definitely not - from the responses above they won't switch to Phase 2 at any time in the foreseeable future, so your 396XT will work just fine.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Peteramjet is right, your purchase is not a waste.

xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Hi guys, On the topic of CFA and digital just wondering if anyone has a district 13 radio id list so I can program them in for use on fireground channels.

Cheers
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Check out the VicRadio Zone website. There is a comprehensive list of CFA analogue and digital channels listed there.
xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Radio Alias ID numbers
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

xtl-kindaguy wrote:Radio Alias ID numbers
Sorry about that...

There used to be a list radio IDs for the brigades that operated on the RMR on that site also but unfortunately it has now gone. No doubt the reason being that it was rather large and keeping it up to date was becoming an issue.

I'm sure someone out there has a list that they might like to share with you...
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

X-Firey wrote:
Sorry about that...

There used to be a list radio IDs for the brigades that operated on the RMR on that site also but unfortunately it has now gone. No doubt the reason being that it was rather large and keeping it up to date was becoming an issue.

It was a nightmare for various reasons. I decided to drop the UiD's (RiD's) as you suggested because it was hard to keep the pages current, more so when it became apparent some Districts were using some radios in a different 'role' than planned and despite the alias program name.

I was also getting some odd emails from people blasting me because I may have had an ID listed as one thing as per the plan, and yet they heard it as something else on a particular day.

Some people seem unable to grasp the fact that I don't sit on the scanner 24/7, can't hear everything and don't sit on web doing live updates. They also seem unable to comprehend many updates can only happen with the input of others.

Nothing new really, the same issues have been going on for many a year and many a site.

[WINKING FACE]

xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Pumper_50 wrote:
X-Firey wrote:
Sorry about that...

It was a nightmare for various reasons. I decided to drop the UiD's (RiD's) as you suggested because it was hard to keep the pages current, more so when it became apparent some Districts were using some radios in a different 'role' than planned and despite the alias program name.

I was also getting some odd emails from people blasting me because I may have had an ID listed as one thing as per the plan, and yet they heard it as something else on a particular day.

Some people seem unable to grasp the fact that I don't sit on the scanner 24/7, can't hear everything and don't sit on web doing live updates. They also seem unable to comprehend many updates can only happen with the input of others.

Nothing new really, the same issues have been going on for many a year and many a site.

[WINKING FACE]

Would you be able to email me district 13 UIDS?
Satman04

Post by Satman04 »

X-Firey wrote:I don't believe that the CFA have any immediate plans to switch to P25 Phase 2. The CFA selected the 436PT scanner that is Phase 2 capable to 'future proof' the volunteers monitoring capabilities. However with other services planning to migrate to the RMR I would not be surprised to see P25 Phase 2 appear. We must remember that in the finish it all comes downs to costs where governments are concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Blake

Post by Blake »

Don't suppose any of you experienced guys could explain some of the jargon to a noob? :?

UIDS?
RIDs?
Radio Alias ID's

Also, IMC on the channel plans? Incident Management Channel??? What are they used for / by who?

God i've got a lot to learn. :lol:
Thanks blokes.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

I'll have a go at an answer for you...

UIDs/RIDs - Same thing, A unique number transmitted by an individual radio on a radio network e.g. MMR, RMR, GRN etc.
This number will be displayed on the operators console and on other radios using that talkgroup/channel on that network. It identifies the unit making the transmission.

Radio Alias ID - This is text assigned to that radio ID. e.g.123456 Pumper 102. Both the radio ID and text will be displayed on the operators console and on other radios using that talkgroup/channel on that network.

Incident Management Channels - As described, used CFA and DWELP to 'manage' an incident. Generally used by various commanders i.e. sector commanders, regional duty officers, inspectors etc at the incident.

We all had to learn at some point so I hope that helps a bit and will leave it open for others to elaborate or correct me if they wish.
Blake

Post by Blake »

That's amazing, thanks X-Firey.

I've got another for ya' too mate :lol:
'Fireground channels', as in the simplex channels used for local communication, are these the same as IMC's?

Thanks Mate
xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Blake wrote:That's amazing, thanks X-Firey.

I've got another for ya' too mate :lol:
'Fireground channels', as in the simplex channels used for local communication, are these the same as IMC's?

Thanks Mate
A couple of the imc & ic channels are simplex th.rough the repeaters